Interested in purchasing ThePuppyNetwork.com? Please visit DomainAgents to make a serious offer.
All email inquiries outside of DomainAgents will be ignored.

Dogs and Chocolate

Dogs eating chocolate is one of the most common reasons for a trip to the veterinarian. The problem with chocolate is that dogs will actually crave it once they have had a taste, and this can lead to serious problems. Although the reaction to chocolate may vary from dog to dog, chocolate is poisonous for dogs and may lead to death if enough is consumed.

Symptoms may not appear for a few hours, and may be confused with a different illness. The longer chocolate stays in your dog’s system without treatment, the more damage it will do. Chocolate poisoning may eventually lead to cardiac arrest.

Why Is Chocolate Bad For Dogs?

Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine. Theobromine is found in the cocoa bean and causes increased urination and affects the nervous system and heart. It is a chemical stimulant that belongs in the same category as caffeine and theophylline.

A dog’s body cannot handle chocolate because theobromine metabolizes much more slowly than in a human’s body. Chocolate can stay in your dog’s system for up to 20 hours. During this time, it may interfere with your dog’s nervous system, heart muscles as well as the kidneys.

How chocolate will affect your dog depends on a few different things. A dog with a weaker immune system or one that is prone to illness may show signs of ailment quicker than a healthy dog who consumes chocolate. The amount and kind of chocolate consumed will also depend on how sick he may become.

Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning

Dog chocolate poisoning symptoms may not start to show for up to 12 hours. Depending on how long your dog goes without treatment is the most important part to think about. Once mild symptoms start to show, you should take your dog to the veterinarian immediately before the symptoms progress.

Here’s what to look for when dealing with a possible case of chocolate poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Muscle spasms
  • Panting
  • Increased urination
  • Excess water consumption

Once theobromine has been absorbed, symptoms will worsen and your dog will become very sick. Some more serious symptoms include:

  • Seizures
  • Gums are blue or gray in color
  • Hyperthermia
  • Coma

It is very important to take your dog to the veterinarian to avoid dealing with more serious side effects of dogs eating chocolate.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

There are a few steps to treatment to help your dog’s case of chocolate poisoning. Some may be minor treatments, depending on how much chocolate and what kind was eaten. You won’t need to rush your dog to the vet for a single M&M eaten. Always contact a veterinarian or animal poison control and follow proper procedures.

The first step to treating dogs eating chocolate is to collect some information before calling animal poison control or the vet.

- What kind of chocolate did your dog eat? Candy bar? Baking chocolate? White chocolate?

- What breed is your dog?

- How much does your dog weigh?

- Is there evidence around? This will help to show serving sizes on the packaging.

- Has your dog shown any symptoms?

- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

- What kind of symptoms is he portraying?

Next, you will likely have to induce vomiting. Once your dog has vomited, you should take him to the veterinarian for further treatment.

For more information about dogs and chocolate, symptoms to look for and treatment options, visit www.dogsandchocolate.net




Find or Create Pet T-shirts at CafePress

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.